An Updated and Enhanced Third Edition is Now Available!
About the Courseware
Authors: Darline Foltz and Karen Lankisch
This up-to-date and approachable courseware teaches students about electronic health records across a variety of delivery systems, making it ideal for all allied health students, regardless of their career focus.
To meet the needs of different types of learners, Exploring Electronic Health Records includes a wealth of images and figures; plus hands-on exercises such as interactive tutorials, assessments using a realistic EHR system, presentations, Web research, and more.
New chapters address cutting-edge topics in the health information technology and allied health fields.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Overview of Electronic Health Records
Chapter 2: Content of the Health Record
Chapter 3: Introduction to Electronic Health Record Software
Chapter 4: Administrative Management
Chapter 5: Scheduling and Patient Management
Chapter 6: Privacy, Security, and Legal Aspects of the EHR
Chapter 7: Clinical Documentation and Reporting
Chapter 8: Diagnostic and Procedural Coding
Chapter 9: Practice Management, Billing, Health Insurance and Reimbursement
Chapter 10: Clinical Decision Support Systems and Quality Improvement
Chapter 11: Data Management and Analytics
Chapter 12: The Personal Health Record and the Patient Portal
- Includes access to the EHR Navigator learning environment. See below to learn more.
- Covers core content to prepare students for RHIT exams.
- Includes content on personal health records, patient portals, and telehealth; topics of increasing importance in health-care education.
- Includes three new chapters: Clinical Documentation and Reporting; Practice Management, Billing, Health Insurance and Reimbursement; and Data Management and Analytics.
- Integrates soft skills and professionalism to prepare students for the workplace.
- Features a student-friendly, approachable writing style that meets students at their level to ensure content comprehension.
- Provides several types of assessment opportunities, including chapter Checkpoints to test recall, end-of-chapter exercises to assess objective learning and critical thinking, and software assessments that are reported to the instructor.
- Up-to-date, accurate information meets students at their level to help them learn core content.
- Content provides students with fun facts about EHRs, historical background, quotations from important figures in the field, and information to prepare them for working in HIT or allied health.
- Consider This features provide real-life scenarios and challenge students to think critically.
- Expand Your Learning margin features speak to digitally savvy students and integrate Internet resources and online
- What's the Buzz margin features focus on hot topics in HIT and allied health.
- Make an Impact margin tips describe how jobs in healthcare matter.
- Practice Professionalism features advice on soft skills.
- Checkpoint features provide a stopping point for students to test their learning.
- Multiple figures, flow charts, diagrams, forms, and photos aid visual learners.
- Hands-on exercises such as presentations, Web research, and EHR Navigator activities aid kinesthetic learners.
About the EHR Navigator
Powered by Cirrus
This interactive, Web-based program:
- Provides students with hands-on EHR skills-training.
- Replicates professional practice, preparing students for work across different types of healthcare facilities, including inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Gives students unlimited practice in all areas of EHRs.
- Integrates with LTI-supported learning management systems, including Canvas, Blackboard, D2L, and Moodle.
New Coverage of Data Analytics
Data analytics plays an important role in improving patient care. Yet many aspiring healthcare professionals lack opportunities to develop analysis skills until they're on the job.
Now there's a way to build students' data analysis skills sooner. We've enhanced our courseware to provide students with opportunities to develop and test their data analysis skills.
Beginning with data related to smoking cessation'available this month'the EHR Navigator will soon include a data analytics-specific tutorial and assessment. Each data report will also be accompanied by multiple case study scenarios that challenge students to analyze and draw conclusions from the data.
Available in Cirrus, the Instructor Resources ease course management and include tools like course-planning guidelines, syllabus models, teaching hints and activities, answer keys, quizzes and exams, handouts and exams.